Thursday 15 January 2015

Books, books and more books

Been a while since I did any book reviews and I have read a lot since then, so rather than reviewing each individually I will list all of them and give a few thoughts on each.

The Northern Sunrise - Rob J Hayes

Rob is a cracking good author, I have previously read his Heresy Within trilogy and I loved that, but this book is different, steampunk setting, the reader follows two con persons, in this standalone book, full of plot twists, I really enjoyed it.

Sixth of Dusk - Brandon Sanderson

Short story, another amazing  'standalone from Mr Sanderson. I use quotations because having read a lot of his books they all are tied together, by the cosmere advance race of space travellers show an interest in all worlds. But I digress, this book follows a hunter as his world changes, and the mysterious cosmere are the catalyst for the change of his world.

Mitosis - Brandon Sanderson

Sequel to Steelheart, prequel to Firefight, this short story follows David and the reconers, as they fight against an epic to protect Newcargos recently gained freedom. Well written, with just enough hints at the world plot, to leave you begging for more.

Firefight - Brandon Sanderson

David and the Reconners, travel to Baiblar (formerly Long Island) to deal with an Epic tyrant, along the way David's struggles with his feelings for Megan, sounds soppy but it's not David is a bumbling fool when it comes to women and it's hilarious to watch him. I really love this series, another unique setting from Brandon, but he keeps all the details to himself and drip feeds the reader a little more world plot with every book, and this one is a dossy, dropping bombshells, but am still left with questions, leaving me begging for more.

Wrath of lions - David Dalglish

2nd part of the breaking world trilogy, as much as I love Davids other books I have struggled with this series, set 100 years are the creation of mankind, and 100 years before any of his other books it details the events of the gods war. The one thing that keeps me going is the mentions of places and families from the books I know and love, I am currently reading the last in the trilogy, Blood of God's.

Dance of shadows - David Dalglish

I read the original self published book and so it took me some time to pluck up the courage to pick up this heavily edited and changed book. But I am glad I did, the story has been changed so much that I didn't feel I was reading the same book twice. This was improvement on the original.

Dance of Ghosts - David Dalglish.

Follow up book to Dance of Shadows, and a great tale to build the story up, fleshed out character relationships drove the story forward, I did feel more like it was more of a segway, leading up to a climax that will happen in the next book. And I was dis-appointted that Hearn did not listen to Dylesia and continued to fight Ghost, his character......Well I never felt like he was the type to blantantly ignore his allies, I am not sure if that's sloppy writing trying to tie up the ghost lose end, but it felt out of character to me.

End times - Nagash, Glottkin, Khaine

And these 3 bad boys, the story of the warhammer fantasy world in the end of days, the rise of fell powers, merging of armies and death of hero's.

Nagash, saw the rise of the great Necromancer as he combined the VC and TK. And was the best book in my opinion.

Glottkin, saw the marching of the Nurgle forces on the empire a fun little read.

Khaine is the tale of the elven Nations bloody civil war coming to an end and a united army coming out of the end, places them in Athel Loren ready to face the finally march of chaos.

Great series of fluff books, they won't win any literature awards, but I am looking forward to the next one, Skaven!









No comments:

Post a Comment