Friday 17 October 2014

Ranty Rat - Please remeber the Gamers

So chatting with Pete via text today, and the conversation gets on to the lack of fantasy keen amongst our friends. X-wing has most of them enthralled, and now Malifaux is making a resurgence. What follows is a slightly doctored essay of a text I sent to Pete....

.......Problem with the end times is it's so narrow band, it not something everyone can get excited about because not everyone has the armies it effects and who wants to buy four 50 pound books that have nothing to do with there own army. I am hoping that when GW get a new CEO that he might lead them down a different path. I continue to play fantasy because I want large army battles, not small skirmishes. If I fancy a small game I'll play x wing, but I am not going to get any more ships i have 3 that's enough for 100 point list, not enough keen for it to get any more........

This stems from my own frustration, I still want to play fantasy, but my small group of friends who play have lost their enthusiasm for the game, moving on the smaller skirmish games that whilst I play them i don't have the same keen for them that i still have for fantasy.

In the Ends times had hoped that my VC and WoC playing friends might find a burst of new keen for the hobby but neither seem very fussed, I can't blame them 50 pound for a book that is masses of fluff and fluffy scenarios doesn't have much appeal for semi competitive player who want to test their generalship (did I just make up a word) against each other.

And I want to same thing, I want to test my Generalship (yep it's a word now) against other skilled opponents. But I want to clash large Armies together not small skirmish bands. I realise there are other games out that offer what I want but I lack the start up capital these days (those pesky kids want feeding again) to start a new game.

So my plea to GW and the new CEO (if indeed there is a new one). Fantasy is a great game, rich in lore and history. You are the best maker of miniatures (the cost is another topic). I know your focus is on collecters, but please remember the Gamers, we hope for a new edition that will reinvigorate the game, we know it won't be perfectly balanced, but please try to make a game that is fun and competitive.




No comments:

Post a Comment