Saturday 7 February 2015

Retribution Falls - Chris Wooding

Retribution Falls - Chris Wooding

I picked up the 1st chapter sample of this book on a friend recommendation. And after reading the sample I had to read the rest.

The book follows the exploits of the captain of an Airship, and his motley crew of misfits and criminals. It is set in a world where air travel is made possible by a  chemical called Aerium, that can be altered to make a safe lighter than air gas. Making air travel easily accessible to everyone. But in the world of science there is still a touch of magic that can also be measured as science (it's a little complicated), this blurs lines Between science and magic. Plus a superstitious religion making for a very deep interesting world to immerse yourself in.

The book has similarities to the serenity/firefly story's. And I found it hard not to make the comparisons as I read. But this is doing the book a disservice, and I had to step away from those unfair comparisons. And read the book as the individual entity it is. Once I had done that the book came alive in it's own right. I got alot of enjoyment reading the developing relationships on board the ship.

A great read I am looking forward to reading more of this world and these characters. As luck would have it a quick search on the kindle store shows 3 more in the same setting/series. Onwards and upwards!




Foot note- I have also finished reading Blood of the Gods by David Dalglish and Robert (whats his name). I am not impressed with this series. I love David's solo work, I have just started reading his King of the Vile (it's starts great). But the broken world series has been a struggle to get through, I can only guess that it is Roberts influence that is putting me off as I still really enjoy David's other work. Maybe I will try one of Roberts solo books to see if that is the case.






No comments:

Post a Comment